Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Still working on my masterpiece

Recently I took a test to see what my calling is in life. The results showed me that I am supposed to be an inspiration to others. That's my calling in life.

I took another test to see what my vocation should be. The results showed that I should be a writer, which is what I have always wanted to be anyway.

I thought as a child that I would be a teacher, and as I grew up I thought that I wanted to be a lawyer. Then I thought somewhere around the 7th grade that I wanted to be a writer. In the 8th grade, I had to write a book for the talented and gifted program. The TAG teacher, along with my accelerated English teacher, said that I was a talented writer and they wouldn't be surprised if they found my books in a bookstore one day.

From then on I wrote ferociously. I had always been an avid reader since I was a small child. My grandmother says that before I had to take the test to see if I needed to go to kindergarten, I was already smarter than a second grader. (She also says that I was a beautiful child like Elizabeth Taylor, so I am not sure how much of that is true vs her bias.)

I made so high on the test that I didn't have to go to kindergarten. It wasn't required at that time. By second grade they were testing my IQ to see if I qualified for the talented and gifted program, which I got into without a problem. I remained in the accelerated and gifted programs until I graduated which I was able to do a year early due to having enough credits to graduate.

Even graduating a year early I was selected as one of the salutatorians of our class. I was surprised, thinking that surely the fact that I was graduating from the 11th grade would make me ineligible. I wasn't sure, but I had hoped. I didn't want to speak in front of a bunch of people at graduation.

But I did. And it wasn't that bad. I don't think that anyone even remembers my speech. I certainly don't.

I should have done more with my life because of those things but I did not do all that I wanted to do. I made mistakes along the way. But I survived and I am still working on my masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New post from the NAACP: NAACP Welcomes Entertainment Executive Kyle Bowser as Senior Vice President of Hollywood Bureau by Marc Banks

WASHINGTON, D.C. (February 4, 2021) – The NAACP is pleased to announce that Kyle Bowser will serve as its Senior Vice President of the Holly...