Saturday, October 22, 2016

The journey

Everyday is a new day.

Or so they say.

It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

Or so they say.

They say all sorts of things and I don't know who they are or why we should listen to them.

Each of us is different and each of us is similar.

We all want a few things in life and yet we are all stumbling down our own paths towards whatever it is that we are hoping to obtain or attain.

Is it about what we need or what we want? How do we know what it is that is going to be our life's passion? How do we know if we are doing the right thing? How do we truly know anything?

What is it that we are supposed to be doing anyway? Why is it that Americans are so incredibly depressed all the time? Why is it that young people are so miserable?

We compare ourselves to the rest of the world based on the things that we see about them on social media. Most people don't put their bad pictures out there for the world to see. So you're comparing your normal life to their highlight reel. But it is not fair to ourselves to compare our life to someone else's life.

We have to understand that we are on our own journey. We are only supposed to be better today than we were yesterday. We can't expect to be perfect. We aren't perfect and we don't live in a perfect world.

We can't expect to be what someone else is because we are not them. I am me and you are you. I am never going to be you and you are never going to be me. I am not as pretty as my two younger sisters and I don't try to be. I don't compare myself to them in that way.

I am not ever going to have the kind of life where I can say, "yeah, we have been married for 70 years." I already know that because I have never been married and I recently turned 37 years old. Lol. That's okay though. Because I can say that I have never been  divorced. I can say that I have never made the ultimate commitment that I couldn't keep. I can say that I am smarter than that. I can say that I would rather have never married than to be divorced 7 times. I can say that I believe that my God would rather me be sure before I make such a commitment that to be unsure and waste the time of myself and someone I care about.

It is not easy being me. It has been a struggle. It is a constant daily struggle. Everyday I try to be better than I was yesterday, and that is all I can really do.

And that's all that you can do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

New post from the NAACP: NAACP Welcomes Entertainment Executive Kyle Bowser as Senior Vice President of Hollywood Bureau by Marc Banks

WASHINGTON, D.C. (February 4, 2021) – The NAACP is pleased to announce that Kyle Bowser will serve as its Senior Vice President of the Holly...